The Middle Fork Salmon and Main Salmon combine to form a nearly 200-mile trip through the heart of Idaho and the Frank Church Wilderness. A trip through these two canyons takes you from the dense alpine forests at the headwaters of the Middle Fork, through the deep granite gorge of the Impassable Canyon, to the mountain desert of the Main Salmon. Exhilarating rapids and crystal-clear pools for fishing and swimming are around every corner. The plentiful hot springs of the Middle Fork followed by the beautiful beaches of the Main make for a trip that is hard to beat. Relax in the oar boat, grab a paddle in the paddle-boat, or captain your own inflatable kayak – you choose just how much excitement you want. A trip this long is not only a vacation but an exploration and adventure with your family and friends. Idaho, a state that has flown under the radar for many years, will surprise you with this journey through time.
Why continue down the Main?
The Main Salmon is a rare outdoor adventure that pairs a perfect beach vacation with the solitude of a vast wilderness. The July water is the perfect temperature for swimming and lounging on the beach. Or, grab your hiking boots to explore historic homesteads and rocky canyon ridge tops. While our veteran guides have the unique opportunity to navigate many different rivers throughout the summer, the Main Salmon is the one they hold near and dear. Our small group size (15 person max.) means your trip will be customized to your interests. Ask us about charter trips!
- 11 days, 180 miles
- Class II-III whitewater (maybe IV depending on type of year), perfect for families
- Refreshing water for swimming and paddling kayaks
- Huge sandy beaches for great games, comfortable camping and star-gazing
- Rich history of native americans, homesteads of pioneers, miners and legends of the river
- Many hot springs throughout the trip
- Great hiking and wildlife
- Excellent Cutthroat trout fishing